Last week, we covered how everyday adaptive athletes can improve their training using the training secrets of world-class athletes, but one major element was left out of last week’s article – food. No matter how you train, if your diet isn’t right your training will not be as effective as it could be. In order to help you get the most out of your training, Team EZ-ACCESS is offering these diet tips gathered from professional athlete interviews:
- Bananas – This fibrous fruit is packed with potassium and can contribute to the slow release of energy during those grueling morning training sessions – plus they have been proven to help your body recover faster, and are also an excellent post-training snack. They can also help protect your neuron cells, and fight against diseases such as Alzheimer’s, according to a study by Journal of Food Science.
- Beetroot Juice – Most commonly enjoyed by our friends across the pond, this deep red drink has shown great effects in boosting athletes’ stamina. The nitrate in the juice reduces oxygen uptake and allows athletes to exercise 16 percent longer than normal, according to the Journal of Applied Physiology.
- Oatmeal – What’s better than 100 percent whole grain? This filling meal choice keeps blood sugar and energy levels consistent throughout training and is a great source of fiber.
- Water – It’s important to stay hydrated at all times, especially when you’re training. The vice president of nutrition and research for Athletes’ Performance states that athletes should be consuming almost one ounce of water per pound of body weight daily.
- Chocolate Milk – Our personal favorite is the recommendation of chocolate milk as a recovery drink. Who wouldn’t want to chug a glassful after a workout? In fact, this drink is a favorite among the Team USA swimmers to help their body recover between swims.
Now that you have the training and diet tips, why not prepare like a world-class athlete? If you have questions about how gain better access to public training areas in your community, check out EZ-ACCESS’ portable ramps or wheelchair lifts today!